Friday, November 15, 2013

MORNING ENQUIRY



MORNING ENQUIRY
Robert Adams

Remember, the finite mind cannot comprehend the Infinite. This is why it is important to always see where you are
coming from. What were you involved in today, as an example? In retrospect go back to this morning. What was the first thing you did when you opened your eyes? You should have been aware that the I-thought has traveled from the Heart center to the brain. And now you are awake and you feel your body and you feel the world. You should not go any further.

You should now attempt to work on yourself, where you send the I-thought back from the brain, back to the spiritual
center, the spiritual Heart. You should immediately attempt to do this. In other words, you should not continue the game of the I-thought telling you things about your body, about the world. And you should not flick on the TV and watch the world news, for that pulls you further into illusion.

But you should immediately begin to inquire, "What happened to the 'I'? Where is the 'I'? Apparently it must be in my head, for I am aware of my body and the world, and I am identifying with it." This is the way you should talk to yourself, and you ask yourself the question, "But how did that I-thought get to my brain?" and you stop. As you begin to think about this, you are abiding in the 'I', and if you're really abiding in the 'I', the I-thought begins to travel backwards. It begins to leave your head and begins to travel backward to the Heart. But you have to catch yourself. This is the first thing you should do when you awaken.

I know most of you forget. Yet you should have some clue that tells you, "It is time for me to abide in the 'I'. I'm not
going to allow the I to bring all of these thoughts into my head." You forget about your work for the moment. You forget about getting dressed. You forget about the time, and you realize the reason you're thinking about your body or about anything else is because the I-thought has gone into your brain, and it now forms the body and the mind. You begin to see that the mind is nothing more than a conglomeration of thoughts. If there were no thoughts, there would be no mind.

Can't you see what you're doing? As you begin to think this way, the I-thought begins to return to its source by itself. In
other words, you don't really have to send the I-thought back to the Self or to the Heart center. You simply have to inquire what the I-thought really is. You'll come to the conclusion it is, after all, only your thought. If the I-thought really does not exist, then my body and the world does not exist. Just thinking about these things, you begin to feel peaceful, happy.

I know you're saying, "Well, I don't have the time to do this every morning. I'm late for work. I've got to get dressed. I've
got to eat breakfast." But again I say to you, this is not yoga or meditation, where you have to take time out to meditate
and then go about your business. This is the superior method of Self-inquiry. And if you just begin to practice this Self-inquiry, you will notice that when it's time to get dressed, eat your breakfast and go to work, your body will do this in record time.

You will not even be thinking about these things. But yet your body will shower, do what it has to do, and you'll be out
of the house and you'll feel great. This is the difference between Self-inquiry and meditation. You are not meditating on anything. You're simply inquiring about your I-thought. And each step will come by itself. You will not have to think about what I'm going to say next. For instance, as you are working on yourself this way and thoughts come to you, something within you will immediately say, "To whom do these thoughts come?" You're not planning this. You have not rehearsed.

And by the way, never rehearse. Never plan what you are going to do in the morning. Unless it's spontaneous it will not work. Remember this: Self-inquiry should be spontaneous. It should not be a drudgery. It should not be something you planned.



No comments:

Post a Comment